Friday, 8 November 2013

Media Music Magazine Article First Draft

After a marathon run of gigs around the country, each set a behemoth of original songs and covers, the four Page Reset rockers from the South West of England are ready to finally put their heads together, record some of their fans’ favourites, and create their first studio album. Our ‘Upcoming’ Reverb editor caught up with Andrew Cooper and Robert Mason, the bassist and guitarist from the band.

So guys, you’re obviously about to go into the studio to record your debut album. Excited?
RM: Yeah we’re really looking forward to it. We’ve had previous experience of a basic studio when we recorded a number of covers of bands we liked. It was fairly primitive recording equipment though, so it’ll be interesting being in a fully fledged studio.
AC: It’ll also be good because me and Rowan [Vincent, guitar, lead vocals] learnt a lot about recording and software while still at school. We both took Music Production as an A-Level, so much of our knowledge will come from that. James [Ashley, drummer] also did it at A-Level, but he went to a different Sixth Form! [laughs].

How do you think your fans will react to your absence from the stage, considering you’ve hardly stopped playing?
AC: We think they’ll be understanding. I know, we’ve played so much, I think many people kinda get used to us always being around and playing gigs, but we feel going into the studio is a good idea, least of all so we get a break!
RM: And we know our fans well enough now so we can kinda craft our album into something they’ll really enjoy. We’re going to put a few fan favourites, songs that our fans always go mental for, as well as our personal favourites

You as a band have obviously been together for a long time. When did you four first come together?
RM: In terms of me, Andy, James and Rowan, we first started playing when we were… Must have been around… Fourteen, fifteen? I don’t know [laughs]. But we didn’t actually start properly playing until maybe sixteen, our final year of GCSEs, and even then we were just playing covers.
AC: [Laughs] I remember the first song we ever covered was Supermassive Black Hole [Muse], and then after a couple of plays, Rowan said we should stick the intro and the two main riffs of Iron Man by Black Sabbath on the end. I don’t know how it worked but it did. Our first gig was at a school concert, and when we went from Supermassive to Iron Man, everyone just flipped out.
RM: We won’t mention the fact that Rowan messed up in both Supermassive and Song 2 [Blur], forgetting the lyrics, knocking the mic off, and dropping his pick!

Okay, we have two more questions, one for each of you. This first one is from Jack Daniels in Suffolk, and it’s for Andrew. ‘I heard that you once said that you would like to collaborate with Katy Perry. Is this true?’
AC: [Laughs] Not quite. I was asked by Rowan before we started touring, who I would most like to collaborate with in the studio, who I’d like to have on one of our songs. My actual answer was that I didn’t mind who we collaborated with, it could be Katy Perry for all I cared, just as long as it worked, and they did what we wanted. I just used Katy Perry as an example. I mean we could, it would at least put a different sound to it! [Laughs].

Finally, Robert. Emma Phillips from Yorkshire asks ‘Would you or Rowan ever consider making a signature guitar? I love your songs but want to sound more like you guys on guitar!’
RM: To be honest, I have never really thought about it. I just use what comes to hand (obviously it sounds good), so I can’t say the idea has ever crossed my mind. I can’t speak for Rowan that accurately, but I think if he ever wanted a signature guitar, he might just build one. He and his dad once built a [Fender] Telecaster, and that went quite well. But in terms of an actual company making one, I think he’d probably want a [Gibson] Les Paul. He’s always loved those guitars.

Page Reset will be touring around the country until the end of the year. See www.pageresetbanduk.com or their Facebook page for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment